Author Archives: Charles

2016

The sheep flock on Weddell is a traditional hardy Falkland Island mix that includes elements of corriedale and merino sheep and the flock has numbered 600 to 700. In the last two years has seen a focus on increasing sheep numbers and genetics, which combined with fencing improvements for grazing management, have produced visible benefits.

2015

The island was purchased by local company, Byron Holdings Ltd. Stephen Clifton, one of the shareholders, used to call at Weddell Island when he was the captain of the local shipping vessel, the MV Tamar F.I., which carried supplies to the remote Falklands island communities and picked up wool and livestock. Stephen’s brother, Lewis who is also a shareholder said “We are delighted to return Weddell to local Falkland Islander ownership; it is a very special place.”

2007

Martin Beaton, jumped at the chance to be the Island Manager and was initially joined and mentored by Denzil Clausen, who spent virtually his entire life living and working on remote farms in the Falklands. Martin was joined by his wife, Jane, also an ex-RAF squadron leader. Together they have worked hard to continue to improve the island.

2001

Richard Visick, a young lawyer from London, who was captivated by the Falklands bought Weddell Island and Sea Lion Island Lodge. Richard Visick went on to be one of the founders of the Falklands oil exploration company, Rockhopper Exploration Plc. Richard Visick reduced sheep numbers to 200.

1987

Hamilton Estates sold the island to Falkland Islander Bob Ferguson and his son John. Bob was actually born on Weddell and had been the farm manager since 1966. John had returned to the islands after service in the Royal Navy, including time spent as a clearance diver on HMS Endurance during the 1982 Conflict in South Georgia and the Falklands. John and his wife Stephanie from Swansea in South Wales lived on the island with their young children, Robert and Sian. The Ferguson’s worked hard at improving sheep genetics and numbers. The flock was increased to about 9,000. Sadly the old managers house was destroyed in a fire in 1989.

1923

John Hamilton purchased Weddell Island. He set about making improvements to overgrazed Weddell, including stock reductions, replanting of tussac grass, and importing coniferous trees from Punta Arenas as ornamentals and windbreaks. He also attempted to diversify the farm economy through minor industries such as seal oiling (soon abandoned) and the introduction of exotic mammals such as foxes, skunks and guanacos from the South American continent. The only definite remnant of this experiment on Weddell Island are the Patagonian Grey foxes. Some people believe that Fuegian otters may also have survived in small numbers and there is still colony of guanaco on Staats Island.

1917

The first recorded wedding on Weddell took place on June 10th when Miss Rachael McRae, youngest daughter of Mr F McRae married Mr George Hansen, son of Mr C Hansen of Speedwell.