History

The Timeline of Weddell Island.

  • 1813

    One of the first remaining records of people on Weddell was when Charles Barnard of the ‘Nanina’ was marooned in The Falklands in 1813 with four sailors. They spent some time on Weddell and built several shelters on the Island which at the time was frequented by many other sealers and whalers. The New York Public Library holds an original copy of Barnard’s manuscript “A Narrative of the Sufferings and Adventures of C.H.B.: In a Recent Voyage Round the World” – a copy of which resides in The Lodge.

  • 1871

    The Island was owned by a Mr & Mrs Williams.

  • 1880s

    Sheep farmer John Hamilton emigrated from Scotland to the Falklands in the 1880s and also spent much of his life in Chile and Argentina.

  • 1895/6

    Weddell intensively run as a large sheep farm.

  • 1896 – 24th October

    The schooner Hadassah was wrecked. Hadassah Point on our Southern coast is close to where the ship foundered.

  • 1917

    The first recorded wedding on Weddell took place on June 10th when Miss Rachael McRae, youngest daughter of Mr F McRae married Mr George Hansen, son of Mr C Hansen of Speedwell.

  • 1923

    John Hamilton purchased Weddell Island. He set about making improvements to overgrazed Weddell, including stock reductions, replanting of tussac grass, and importing coniferous trees from Punta Arenas as ornamentals and windbreaks. He also attempted to diversify the farm economy through minor industries such as seal oiling (soon abandoned) and the introduction of exotic mammals such as foxes, skunks and guanacos from the South American continent. The only definite remnant of this experiment on Weddell Island are the Patagonian Grey foxes. Some people believe that Fuegian otters may also have survived in small numbers and there is still colony of guanaco on Staats Island.

  • 1987

    Hamilton Estates sold the island to Falkland Islander Bob Ferguson and his son John. Bob was actually born on Weddell and had been the farm manager since 1966. John had returned to the islands after service in the Royal Navy, including time spent as a clearance diver on HMS Endurance during the 1982 Conflict in South Georgia and the Falklands. John and his wife Stephanie from Swansea in South Wales lived on the island with their young children, Robert and Sian. The Ferguson’s worked hard at improving sheep genetics and numbers. The flock was increased to about 9,000. Sadly the old managers house was destroyed in a fire in 1989.

  • 2001

    Richard Visick, a young lawyer from London, who was captivated by the Falklands bought Weddell Island and Sea Lion Island Lodge. Richard Visick went on to be one of the founders of the Falklands oil exploration company, Rockhopper Exploration Plc. Richard Visick reduced sheep numbers to 200.

  • 2007

    Martin Beaton, an ex-RAF squadron leader who had served in the Falklands jumped at the chance to be the Island Manager. Martin was initially joined and mentored by Denzil Clausen, who spent virtually his entire life living and working on remote farms in the Falklands. With Denzil’s experienced tutelage and much hard work Martin has steadily addressed many issues around the settlement: water, power generation, communications, vehicles, buildings and livestock. In the third season, Martin was joined by his wife, Jane, also an ex-RAF squadron leader. Together they have worked hard to continue to improve the island. Sheep numbers have been steadily increased to between 600 and 700. The flock is a traditional hardy Falkland Island mix  that includes elements of corriedale and merino sheep.

  • 2015

    The island was purchased by local company, Byron Holdings Ltd. Stephen Clifton, one of the shareholders, used to call at Weddell Island when he was the captain of the local shipping vessel, the MV Tamar F.I., which carried supplies to the remote Falklands island communities and picked up wool and livestock. Stephen’s brother, Lewis who is also a shareholder said “We are delighted to return Weddell to local Falkland Islander ownership; it is a very special place.”

  • 2017

    Extensive refurbishment works being carried out across the settlement.

Load More